Oklahoma City Thunder star player Russell Westbrook took home the 2016/17 season MVP award ahead of two other finalists James Harden (Houston Rockets) and Kwahi Leonard (San Antonio Spurs) on Monday 26th June 2017 at the NBA Awards night held at Pier 36 in New York City.
Westbrook had a spectacular year and as he was making multiple triple- doubles through out the season and impressing Oscar Robertson triple-double king, he was nearing his first MVP Award.
1. He is the league points leader averaging 31.6 points per game and 3rd assist leader averaging 10.4 assists per game.
2. He is 4th on the All Time triple- double list with 79 triple- doubles.
3. His 57 points against Orlando Magic made him the player with most points scored in a triple- double game.
4. He is the 2nd player in the league to average a triple- double in a Season after triple- double king Oscar Robertson.
5. The player with most triple- double in a single season; 42 of them.
6. The 1st player with 3 50- point triple doubles in a season.
Watch Russell Westbrook’s 2016/17 Season Performance below;
The voting results posted on twitter by Marc J. Spears of ESPN shows James Harden came 2nd but was not close enough to win the gong.
Apart from the numbers, Westbrook had a couple of wonderful blessings that warmed him up for the ultimate award. Even though Oklahoma City Thunder were kicked out of the Playoffs by Houston Rockets led by James Harden, Westbrook sat home with a smile as his wife, Nina Earl birth their first child on 16th May2017. Westbrook also won the Shaqtin A Fool MVP Award.